The Jumlin is widely referred to within the Cherokee Nation as the father of vampires. His Legend is as follows:
There was once a wise Medicine Man who was married to a woman named Laughing Sky. The Medicine Man loved his wife but unfortunately Laughing Sky was barren. He prayed many times to the Great Spirit but to no avail. Out of grief and frustration, the Medicine Man turned to the dark arts and summoned a demon, which promised him many healthy offspring; the demons’ name was Jumlin. When the Demon materialized he possessed the Medicine Man and transformed him into a bloodthirsty beast, which craved human flesh.
The demon kept his word, Laughing Sky bore many healthy offspring, however the possessed Medicine Man did not stop with his wife; he in turn found great pleasure in raping the other women of the village who also bore his children. Many of them were just as evil as their father but one in particular stood out above the rest.
Laughing Bear was the last child that Laughing Sky bore. After Laughing Bear was born, Jumlin drained the blood from Laughing Sky and left her corpse to rot. Jumlin gathered his offspring and fled the village as world had spread of a great hunting party that had gathered and were coming for him. Jumlin and his vicious brood would travel from village to village, raping, pillaging and murdering. Before he departed each village, Jumlin would abandon one of his offspring so that the surviving women of the village would unknowingly take the child in and raise it as one of their own. In this manner, Jumlins’ bloodline secretly flourished.
One day Jumlin spotted the daughter of a Chief from a neighboring village and attacked her. When the Chief heard her cries he raced to the scene where he was met by the great hunting party. Together they defeated Jumlin and killed most of his offspring, but Laughing Bear and a few other siblings managed to escape.
It is said that the children of Jumlin live to this day; they walk among us and they breed with us. Though they seem completely human, they are to this day, creatures of darkness.
The legend was well known throughout Germany in 16th century. The tale originates when a shoemaker committed suicide for reasons unknown on September 20, 1591. The family was shocked by his actions and as suicides brought shame to the entire family in these times, the family took desperate measures to cover up the fact that the shoemaker has sliced his own throat. The family told friends and family that the man had died from a stroke and took special measures to avoid visitations. An old woman was hired to work on the corpse in order to hide the shameful scars of his actions. Upon her success the priest and other family members were then allowed to view the corpse. Three days later he was given a proper funeral and burial.
Not long after his burial, rumors of his demise began to fill the streets. The family was fearful that the rumors would reach the ears of the city council which would surely have the body exhumed and reburied on unhallowed ground. With every confrontation the family would swear that the man had injured himself during the course of the stroke, and that’s where the scar on his neck had been derived from.
Though the family continued to deny the true cause of the shoemakers demise, reports began to circulate that the man had been seen on several occasions. Reports of attacks begin to arise, Men and women alike would report that they had been attacked by the shoemaker and would show visible wounds where the assailant had restrained them while he fed on them. Finally after reports began to accumulate for 8 months, the city council ordered the body of the shoemaker be exhumed.
On April 18, 1592 the body was dug up. When the coffin was opened; city officials made note of no decay. The body was not stiff, there was no obscene odor, in fact the body was quite plump though the self inflicted wound on his neck remained and in fact was gaping and red with fresh blood. The body remained unburied for quite some time and was guarded around the clock for the townspeople to quench their curiosity. Curiously, the attacks had not stopped. It was then decided that the corpse would be buried under the gallows. This only made the attacks intensify.
On May 7th the shoemakers’ body was exhumed again. This time the city council had his head, heart, arms and legs removed and burned. The ashes were them gathered, put into a burlap sack and thrown into the river. At this point the attacks were ended, at least until his wife died shortly after his demise.
Reports of attacks began to circulate once more. The wife was immediately exhumed and met with the same fate as her husband.
The Alnwick Castle was first mentioned in history books in the year 1096 but it’s vampire troubles did not begin until the 1200’s. A prominent priest contacted William of Newburgh about the case of the Alnwick Vampire that plagued his Diocese. If you will recall William of Newburgh investigated reports of vampires in the 1200’s and compiled a journal of his experiences and accounts.
Legend states that a vampire lived beneath the castle where he terrorized it’s inhabitants as well as surrounding villages for over 70 years. The story begins as such: There was an unnamed man from Yorkshire who lived a disreputable life, filled with crime, sin and ill repute. The man was wanted by authorities but he hid within the Alnwick Castle where he had allies, enabling for him to maintain his lifestyle. The man having resided within the castle for quite some time moved up the ranks and became a Lord, marrying a woman that also resided within the castle. It was the perfect marriage. Rumors began to circulate about his wife’s indiscretions. One evening the man climbed onto the roof above his chambers and peered into the window below to see his wife in bed with another man. Furious with the scene, the man faltered and fell through the roof injuring himself fatally. As he lay dying the priest arrived for him to have his final confession but the man refused, uttering curses towards his wife he refused to repent his sins before he died. The man was laid to rest in the church cemetery, but to no avail. It was not long after the man returned from the grave and began to attack the surrounding villages leaving a trail of victims with slashed throats and gaping wrists. The population began to dwindle, between the attacks of the vampire, plague and the remaining fleeing for fear of their lives, the town was nearly emptied. One Palm Sunday the local priest assembled a group of devout residents and some prominent citizens who went to the cemetery where the man was buried to put an end to this vampire’s grip of terror.
The grave was dug up and the body exhumed. When the coffin was open the corpse was found to appear fresh and preserved yet was bloated with fresh blood. The corpse was beheaded and dragged out of town where it was burned then the ashes were reinterred into holy ground to prevent his return. Up until this day, he has not returned.